How to Use SEO as a Primary List-Building Tool
Did you know that typically 95% or more of Web traffic is wasted — people visit a Web site but don’t convert or leave their contact information? Do you know what percentage of your Web site traffic is wasted? In this month’s feature, we provide advice and tips on how to use search engine optimization (SEO) not only as a way to drive people your Web site, but also as a great list-building tool.
Companies often spend a lot of time and money on SEO as a way to increase traffic to their Web sites. Yet they often overlook a major purpose of SEO — as a means of boosting the collection of names and email addresses to help build a better email list. In other words, once you lure visitors to your site, you need to be sure you have built in the capacity to capture both their interest and their contact information.
The 2 Major Elements of SEO
Today there are many SEO tools and techniques available. The following two major elements of SEO are essential — and you won’t succeed without doing both.
- Optimize Your Web Site Organically.
To optimize a Web site organically means to design each page in a way that the site’s contents will be thoroughly indexed to keywords that potential customers use when seeking your products or services. This process helps increase the volume and quality of traffic to your Web site from search engines. It typically involves editing the page content and HTML elements and associated coding of your Web site to increase its relevance to specific keywords. In addition to making sure appropriate keywords and descriptions are included in the content of each Web site page, it’s also important to use appropriate title tags for the pages. For more information about SEO and keyword research, read the FulcrumTech NewsLever article, “5 Ways Keyword Research Optimizes Email Newsletters & Overall E-Marketing Success.”
- Increase Your Off-Page Optimization.
As its name implies, off-page optimization includes SEO strategies that are done off a Web site’s pages to help drive up search engine rankings. It involves getting other Web sites to link to yours through such methods as posting press releases, social networking, placing articles, blogging, directory listings and link campaigns with other businesses. The more Web sites that link to your site, the more search engines like Google increase your value ranking.
Tips to Help Ensure Your Web Site Collects Leads Successfully
Take a look at your Web site. Is it designed in a way that encourages lead collection? If not, it may be time to rethink and redesign your site. Here are some important tips for ensuring optimal lead collection:
- Keep it simple by collecting only a first name and email address for initial newsletter sign-up. People are often more willing to share that much information, but not necessarily their phone numbers and addresses.
- Give visitors the opportunity to share their contact information on every page of your Web site.
- Be sure your page layout is well designed — the key messages and calls-to action are highly visible and “pop.”
- Focus on your headlines, since these are the first words that grab the attention of visitors to your Web page.
- Keep the content fresh and relevant. If your Web site’s copy is tantalizing, you’ve already won half the battle. Visitors to your site will be more eager to sign up for your email newsletter and willing to share their contact information with you.
- Consider offering an incentive, such as a free White Paper for signing up for your newsletter.
Check out the following FulcrumTech NewsLever articles for more information about lead capture and conversion:
- 5 Strategies for Creating Landing Pages that Convert
- 7 Ways to Make the Most of the “Click-Through Moment”
When it comes to SEO, it’s important to be sure the investment is really paying off by drawing people to your site, encouraging them to sign up for your email newsletter, and ultimately bringing them down the sales funnel to close the deal. Give us a call today at 215-489-9336 and let FulcrumTech help you use SEO to build a great email list.